Gin Tonic

Boost your Gardening

One way to give your spring garden a boost is to use the best fertilizer on the market – both ‘The Botanist’ and ‘Garden Tiger’ definitely boosted our gardening today, not at least due to their perfect gardening name’s.

All 65 botanicals from the ‘The Botanist’ and ‘Garden Tiger absolutely sprout our energy to mow the lawn, weed the flower beds and crop the bushes in today’s wonderful spring weather that currently has conquered the North of Europe.

The Botanist is slow distilled in “Ugly Betty”, a Lomond Still, one of the last in existence. Betty prefers to work at low-pressure and won’t be rushed. So the precious botanicals are slowly and gently coaxed into releasing their complex, signature aromatics.

The gin is distilled after an overnight maceration of the nine base botanicals orris root, cassia bark, coriander seed, etc – in spirit and Islay spring water. This alcohol vapor infusion from the distillation then passes through the botanical basket containing the 22 more delicate Islay aromatic hand-picked leaves and petals from the windswept hills, peat bogs and Atlantic shores. It is this double infusion that gives the Botanist gin its distinctive flavor, allowing the more delicate aromatic leaves and petals to influence the gin vapor without being destroyed.

From that first, achingly-slow 17 hour distillation. The result: a highly distinctive, complex, floral gin with outstanding finish and impeccable provenance. In an age of re-badged industrial gins, the Botanist stands out as a truly artisanal, small-batch, hand-crafted labor of love and distiller’s art. A breath of botanical Islay in every glass.

The gin was served in a GT with a Fever-Tree Premium Indian Tonic Water using blooming thyme, sage and orange peel as garnish. The GT had a summerish expression that was perfect to this pre-summer day in the garden.

Capreolus Garden Tiger Dry Gin is small-batch gin made in Gloucestershire using an impressive 34 botanicals, of which most are secret. The 34 Botanicals are individually hand treated and steeped in neutral grain spirit  for about 40 hours.  Whilst the botanicals used are closely held, you can certainly spot the Sicilian blood orange which is the hero of the flavor profile, plus a local lime  is also used.

Once fermented, the fruits are transferred to the distillery. Further processing is sometimes required, for example, plums are sieved by hand from their stones. This leaves just a hint of their almond flavor without covering the delicate spice hidden within the flesh. Respecting the ingredients the fruits are transferred by hand into the custom copper still. Heated by a naked flame it is clothed in a water bath, removing the risk of scorching. The choice of copper rather than cheaper stainless steel serves two roles. A superb conductor of heat, it allows a gradual transition of flavors as they evaporate within the still.

One thing to note is the decision to not to use chilled filtering in the production of the gin. The very short version is that some distillers believe that by not using chilled filtration they retain the more generous and subtle flavors in the botanicals through retention of their natural essential oils. So this means that when the gin is chilled or diluted, you get a cloudiness in the drink.

Whilst this may at first be disconcerting, the effect is intentional, and you are seeing the essential oils being released: this is called louche, and hence the more complex flavors on the taste palette.

The cloudy GT was mixed with Fever-Tree Premium Indian Tonic Water on a lot of ice. Raspberry and rosemary was used as the perfect garnish for this gardener GT.

3 thoughts on “Boost your Gardening”

  1. Superb blog! Do you have any helpful hints for aspiring writers?
    I’m planning to start my own blog soon but I’m a little lost on everything.
    Would you suggest starting with a free platform like WordPress or
    go for a paid option? There are so many options out there that I’m completely confused ..
    Any ideas? Bless you!

Comments are closed.