Distillery Gin

Gin in Genever Land

First stop on our Summer Gin Tour was Schiedam in the Netherlands, that of many are assessed to be ‘the cradle of gin’ due to its historical label as the the Jenever capital of the world. However, due to a huge rookie mistake- our tour manager had missed that absolutely everything is closed on Mondays in Schiedam, a mistake that we first discovered Monday morning when we arrived to an abandoned city.

All bets was off related to the original plan, so we decided to take a walk along the canal to at least see the historical distilleries that still are located in the city. Nevertheless, every cloud has a silver lining! In the empty streets of Schiedam, we met a man outside the Distillery Onder De Boompjes, the second oldest distillery in the Netherlands. The man turned out to be the Master Distiller himself, and since he had a couple of extra minutes, he invited us on a speedy guided tour at the distillery. Few minutes became almost an hour, so instead of starting our Summer Tour with a catastrophic planning failure – then Master Distiller John de Lange gave us a serious candidate to the highlight of the tour. Wow, what an amazing place with a lot of historic ‘spirits’ – but still with an innovative approach to be at the forefront of both the jenever- and gin-univers.

Despite the juvenile label design, then Sylvius Dutch Dry Gin has gorgeous classic gin expression with a powerful juniper footprint. Sylvius Dutch Dry Gin has almost full plate on the ‘top 10’ list of mostly used gin botanical, so the gin is the real deal. The citrus fruits are freshly cut and the spices grinded when needed. Every single ingredient has had the utmost care and attention before getting ‘drowned’ in the ultra wheat spirit!

Thanks Distillery Onder De Boompjes and not at least Master Distiller John de Lange for opening door, and showing us the wonderful distillery and letting us taste your Sylvius gin – and hereby saving our day in the Jenever Capital no. 1.

1 thought on “Gin in Genever Land”

  1. Hi there just wanted to give you a quick
    heads up and let you know a few of the images aren’t loading correctly.

    I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue. I’ve tried it
    in two different web browsers and both show the same outcome.