Distillery Friends of the House Gin

Na zdrávje!

Confession, our knowledge concerning the classic Slovenian distilling tradition was prior to this tasting of the Lim Bay gin very limited. Our preliminary familiarity with gin from this area were restricted to some Googling – and though this search the local juniper spirit called; Brinjevec. According to the found reference, then this ‘gin variant’ shouldn’t taste particularly pleasant, and mainly used as a panacea due to its so-called ‘cure’ for many daily health complaints.

Consequently with some skepticism, we were opening the Lim Bay gin bottle for the first neat tasting. It’s seldom, that we’re both astonished and mystified at the same time tasting a new gin. However, Lim Bay gin definitely gave us that interesting feeling of something recognizable but at the same time also something completely unknown, that never had thrilled our taste buds before.

The main inspiration behind this gin’s characteristic aroma and flavor is Lim Bay -a magical place in the Croatian Istria where the idea about this gin was macerated.
The recipe is a salty-sweet secret of the proud master blender. Memories and all the best from the surrounding of the Lim Bay area are by the master blender incorporated into the appearance of the gin; Oysters, oak barrels, rock samphire, rosemary, linden flowers, juniper, fennel, nutmeg, Vila spring water from beneath the Kamnik mountains, an endless flavor bouquet of the local cuisine, and not forgetting Slovenian stubbornness and other ancient herbs that are omnipresent in this region.

Lim Bay gin is very exclusive, since only 6,000 bottles are fill each year – thanks Lim Bay Gin for stepping out of the dark Brinjevec shadow and surprising our senses with one of these unique bottles , that positively stunned our gin receptors.

Na zdrávje!